This easy and delicious dish is lightened up by dipping in fat free Greek yogurt instead of egg. The recipe came about by accident because I didn't have any eggs one day and didn't have time to go to the store. I had already mixed part of the ingredients so there was no turning back I literally threw open the fridge door and grabbed a few things I thought would work. What resulted was a really tender, juicy, and flavorful pork chop. This is one of those times when you can't go flipping the meat over and over. Leave it alone!! If you do you will end up with a wonderfully crispy and golden brown crust. I used bone-in pork loin chops here because that is what I had but normally I use boneless center cut loin chops and pound them between 1/4 " to 1/2 " thick.
4 pork loin chops, bone-in or boneless center cut
1/2 C. plain or Japanese Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 C. Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Zest of 1 lemon
Tbsp. Dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon Mild and Creamy)
1/2 C. fat free Greek yogurt (I used FAGE 0%)
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
3-4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Pound chops between 1/4" to 1/2 " thick (With the bone-in chops I just beat the chops enough to tenderize)
- Mix the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and cheese in a shallow pan
- In another shallow pan add yogurt, mustard and olive oil and stir well.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dip each chop in the yogurt mixture covering well, spreading on a thin layer.
- Dip in the breadcrumb mixture, coating evenly.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large non stick skillet on med/high.
- Turn oven on warm or about 200 degrees F
- Saute 2 of the pork chops on medium until golden brown . It is best to leave the chop until golden brown and then flip it. Otherwise if you flip it and the crust has not set you will pull it off. These chops were a little thicker and had the bone so it took approximately 6- 8 minutes on each side. They will take less if they are thinner and boneless. Place chops in oven to stay warm while you cook the other chops.
These chops are great with everything from mashed potatoes to risotto or even a simple spinach salad.