Saturday, March 19, 2011

Black Bean Mushroom Burgers with Corn,Tomato and Sweet Onion Salad

Black Bean Mushroom Burger with Corn, Tomato and Sweet Onion Salad 

I don't eat a lot of vegetarian meals mostly because my husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy but I have had this idea floating around in my head for awhile and since the sun is finally out, the need for a burger drove me to finally come up with this recipe.  Let me tell you, this was one huge, guilt-free cheeseburger!  The ingredients in these patties have classic Mexican flavors like cumin, chipotle, and fresh cilantro. The burgers had great flavor but did have a little softer texture than a regular hamburger so I recommend you top these bad boys with your favorite crunchy veggies. My kids loved them and gobbled them down.  I didn't think about the fact that there wouldn't be any shrinkage so these turned out too big.  They were very filling so  I think next time I would make them a little smaller or maybe even do sliders.  

Servings = 4
WW Pts. + = 5

Ingredients:
1  15oz. can black beans, drained ( I like Goya)
1/2 large red onion, diced small
1 small can diced green chilies
1 large Portabella mushroom cap diced small
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Sazon tropical (I bought it at the regular grocery store but you can find it your local Mexican grocery stores too.)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. chipotle pepper powder
3/4 - 1 C. dried breadcrumbs ( I used 3/4 C this time but think maybe a little more would firm them up a little)
1 large egg
1/3 C. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions: 

In a medium skillet heat olive oil on medium heat
   Add onions and saute until soft.
Add green chilies stirring to mix well.
    Red onion and diced green chilies





Add mushrooms, stir and cook until tender.
 
Diced Portabella Mushroom Cap
Add all of the spices, stir well and cook 1-2 more minutes,turn off the heat and let cool..  

Cumin, Paprika, black pepper,  Sazon Tropical, Cayenne pepper, and Chipotle powder


 Meanwhile place the drained black beans in a food processor and pulse a few times.
 
Sorry the photo was a little dark but you can see that the beans aren't pureed but more like roughly chopped.

Once cool add the vegetable mixture to the black beans and mix well.  
Add the breadcrumbs, cilantro, and the egg and mix well.
Sorry I already mixed in the egg. 
The mixture should hold together well to shape into 4 patties.


 Grill or fry in a non-stick skillet on medium high until heated through and crispy on the outside.
I melted smoked cheddar cheese on them and topped them with tomatoes, cucumbers, and homemade light ranch.  My husband and one of the boys topped theirs more like a regular burger with mustard, miracle whip and lettuce, while my oldest boy put sour cream and cucumbers. Go figure?? 
Black Bean and Mushroom Burger

 I served it with a dish I usually make in the summer with fresh sweet corn but it worked out just as well with really good quality frozen corn.  I actually serve this dish at parties and have feta and blue cheese on the side for people to choose from.  It really adds a lot to the dish but is excellent without as well.  This was originally a Bobby  Flay recipe but I tweaked it to my taste.  I hope you like it and don't forget to make it in the summer with fresh garden vegetables!

:Corn, Tomato, and Sweet Onion Salad - sorry forgot the blue cheese in the picture couldn't wait to dig in!
Ingredients:

 4 1/2 - 5 C. sweet corn, thawed or fresh (I used really good quality frozen white shoepeg and sweet yellow )
1/4 C. rice vinegar
1/4 C. fresh cilantro, chopped roughly
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil  
Lime juice from 1/2 of large lime
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved ( I love and used the Cherub tomatoes - so sweet!)
1/2 of large sweet red onion sliced thinly 
kosher salt and pepper to taste
Blue cheese or feta crumbles for garnish if desired

Directions:
  • In a blender add cilantro, sugar, rice vinegar, and lime juice and blend well.
  • While the blender is on low add the olive oil (slowly through the small hole) to emulsify the oil and vinegar. Depending on your blender you may want to cover the hole partially with a towel while you pour in the oil.
  • In a large bowl mix corn, tomatoes, and onions.  
  • Pour vinaigrette over veggies and season with salt and pepper to taste
Enjoy!

    No comments: