Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Honey Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

Marinated pork tenderloin with a honey teriyaki glaze
    
   Do you have one of those meals that you can't get enough of.  You know, the one where you keep going back for more even though you know you shouldn't.  Well I do, and this is it!
  The tenderloin is one of my favorite cuts of meat because it is tender, juicy and very lean.  It is wonderful marinated and if cooked properly will melt in your mouth.  
   First, I marinated the pork in homemade teriyaki.  Next, I brought the same marinade to a boil and reduced it to make a sweet glaze that is perfect drizzled over the meat.  I serve this with my mom's Sweet and Sour Green Beans and Garlic and Chive Mashed Potatoes.  I will post those recipes later since I forgot to take pictures this time around.
   * The teriyaki sauce is a basic recipe I use for a lot of different things from Asian noodles, stir fry, and my lettuce wraps.  I change it up and tweak it here and there depending on what I am making but this recipe is very versatile.  Sometimes I add pineapple or apple juice or for lettuce wraps I add a little ketchup, garlic chili paste and spicy mustard.  Add your own flare and let me know what you come up with.  I would love to hear suggestions!
 
 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 -2 lbs pork tenderloin, trimmed ( I had 2 lbs which is actually 2 separate pieces of meat packaged together).
1/2 -1 Tbsp. olive oil

Marinade and Sauce:
1/2 C. Soy Sauce or Tamari
1.2 C. water 
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes


Directions:

  •  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Whisk all marinade ingredients together and pour into a gallon size zip lock bag.
  • Place pork in marinade and close bag.   Put bag in a large bowl and marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour to overnight.  I usually turn the bag a few times while marinating. 
  • Heat a large oven proof skillet on high.  Once hot, add marinated meat and sear until golden brown on all sides.  Approximately 2 minutes per side.
  • Place skillet in the pre-heated oven and roast until the meat reaches 140 degrees F.  Approximately 15-20 minutes.  
  • Meanwhile place marinade into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.   Turn down to a simmer on low.
  • Remove meat and place on a serving platter.  Let the meat rest for 10 minutes until it reaches 145 degrees F.
  • Place hot skillet that you cooked the meat in back on stove and turn to medium high.  
  • Pour the marinade into skillet and de-glaze the pan by scraping all of those yummy bits off the bottom.  Bring to a simmer and reduce to thicken for a few minutes. 
    • `If you want a thicker sauce, more like a gravy, add either arrowroot powder to the sauce and whisk or a 1:1 mixture of cold water/cornstarch.  Start with 1 Tbsp of each.
  • Slice the tenderloins into medallions and drizzle with the teriyaki sauce.
Enjoy!

No comments: