Monday, March 28, 2011

Smokey Chipotle Chicken Sliders

Smokey Chipotle Chicken Burgers

    One bite!  That's all it took!  These mini chicken burgers pack a smokey punch and leave your lips wanting more.  I found the original recipe years ago at a grocery store on a winning recipes card but was a little unsure since I had never made burgers with anything but beef.  That first bite did us all in because we were officially  hooked!  My husband and kids love these spicy little cuties and have been craving them for awhile so I figured I would share them with all.
    I prefer to grind my own chicken but you could buy it already ground.  I use my food processor but a grinding attachment on a stand mixer would work too.  I recommend chilling these in the fridge before cooking to help them set up nicely. 
    Top these with your favorite smoked cheese and pile on fresh vegetables and you have a healthy party in your mouth.

Serving Size: 1 Slider
Servings: 15 approximately 3 oz. each
WW Pts. + =  2 Yes, that's what I said!

Ingredients:

Smokey Chipotle Chicken Burgers ready for the grill!
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, approx 2 lbs., ground
1/4 C. chopped and drained sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, 1 Tbsp. oil reserved
1/2 lg. red onion, diced small
1/3 C. fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1-1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 - 1 1/2tsp. chipotle chili powder
2 tsp. Sazon Tropical (find at local Mexican markets or in ethnic section of good grocery stores)
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C. Shredded smoked cheese, I like smoked cheddar.


Recommended Toppings: Any or all!
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Fresh sliced cucumbers
Fresh cilantro

Grilled onions
Avocado slices


Directions:
  • Cut chicken into large chunks and grind in a food processor in small batches so that you don't over grind the meat.
  • Mix ground chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. sun-dried tomato oil, cumin, Sazon, Chipotle powder, garlic, salt and diced onion.  
  • Form into patties approximately 3 oz. each and place in a single layer on a large tray.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
  • Grill for approximately 20 - 25 minutes or broil in the oven 4 inches from the top, about 8 -10 minutes on each side.  I grilled on my gas stove top where they didn't seem to get even heat.  An outdoor grill may change the time a little. 
  • Once cooked top with shredded cheese and melt, 1-2 minutes.
  • Top with fresh vegetables and cilantro and serve on a slider bun.
Grilled Smokey Chipotle Chicken Slider

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I have been craving these since Kelly first served them to us. Yum! I'm going to the grocery right now so I can grill them tonight.