|Chicken Pot Pie with Parmesan Herbed Biscuits|
Who doesn't love chicken pot pie? Chicken, veggies, creamy sauce and of course the best part...the crust. My latest William - Sonoma catalog came and what was inside but a yummy slow cooker chicken pot pie with herbed biscuits on top.
Although the recipe looked fantastic it was loaded with butter, two sticks to be exact! I refused to give in the buttery goodness of these pastry laden bowls. Instead I pulled up my big girl panties (they fell down because of the weight I have lost) and believe it or not came up with a really flavorful and satisfying low fat version of the original. Instead of a pastry crust I came up with a melt in your mouth, low fat, fluffy buttermilk biscuit. This meal was really quick and easy. See, you can have your pot pie and eat it too!
Chicken Mixture Servings = 4
WW Pts. + = 6 (Chicken mixture only)
Biscuit Servings = 12
WW Pts. + = 2 (Biscuits)
I made a 2nd batch the next day and made them a little thinner which gave me 15 half dollar sized biscuits. They were the perfect bite size and only 1 POINT!
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp.cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/3 C. low fat buttermilk 1 %
2 oz. fat free Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0 %)
1/2 C. parmesan cheese
1/4 C. Chives or Spring Onions
- Pre-heat oven to 425 deg. F
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar
- Add cold butter and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or 2 knives until it crumbles
- Stir in the cheese and chives
- Stir in yogurt and buttermilk until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a disk. Roll dough to about 1/3 " thick.
- Cut with a 2 inch round biscuit cutter. Makes about 12 biscuits.
- Place biscuit on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge until you are done with the filling.
- If you are making just the biscuits bake for 10-12 minutes.
Ingredients: Pot Pie
1 lb chicken breast meat, cut into cubes
1 stalk celery, diced
1 1/2 C. carrots, diced small (All we had were baby carrots and we were hungry so I cheated and chopped in food processor)
1 1/2 - 2 C. sliced mushrooms
1/2 lg red onion, diced small
3/4 C. frozen baby peas
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Sherry (dry or sweet)
1/2 -1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 C. chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Pot Pie
I recommend making the biscuits ahead of time so that you can just pop them out of the fridge.
- Heat large skillet on med/high and add olive oil. Add chicken and brown on all sides about 4-5 mins.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Turn down heat to medium.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter, add mushrooms, saute until tender and golden brown
- Set mushrooms aside in the same bowl as the chicken.
- In the same pan add onions, celery, and carrots and saute until tender
- Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour and stir constantly for a few minutes
- Whisk in the sherry, stir
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock until well mixed and smooth.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and frozen peas and allow sauce to thicken.
- Divide the hot chicken mixture and place in crocks or small baking dishes.
- Place 2-3 unbaked biscuits on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 -12 minutes until biscuits are a light golden brown.
This is one of those warm your belly comfort food meals. I hope that you love this meal as much as my family did.