Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tzatziki Sauce(Greek Yogurt Dressing)

Tzatziki Sauce
   

   This dip is quick and easy.  It makes a great snack with pitas or veggies or is the perfect finish to a gyro.  The best part is that it is guilt free!  Why you ask...because my culinary friends, it is made with one of my favorite things...Greek yogurt.  It is fat-free and loaded with protein.  I use Greek yogurt for everything from smoothies to baking and love it! So, whip up something guilt free and leave me a post.  I love new ideas!

    Note:  In this particular batch I added 1 Tbsp of fresh dill in and a finely diced green onion.  Hence the specks!  The green onion isn't traditional at least I don't think, but I love them and had a bunch so I threw it in.  The dill was a nice addition too, but I like it without just as much.

Servings.  32 (Tbsp.)
WW Points Plus:  1 Tbsp. = 0 pp
                            2 Tbsp. - 1/4 C. = 1 pp
                          

Ingredients:

2 Cups Greek yogurt, I use FAGE 0%
1 cucumber, seeded
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon)
1 tsp.kosher salt
1 Tbsp. fresh dill - if desired
1 green onion, diced finely- if desired
  • Place a coffee filter or paper towel in a metal strainer over a bowl.  Place yogurt in filter and cover with plastic wrap.  Place in refrigerator for several hours to over night.  This will allow the water to drain.
  • Peel a large regular cucumber and slice in half.  Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds.
  • Grate entire cucumber (I like to use a fine microplane).
  • Squeeze the cucumber in your hands or in a clean dish towel to get the excess water out.  (Very important!)
  • In a medium bowl place yogurt, cucumber, pressed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt.  Mix well.
  • That's it, you are done now.  No, really, you can serve it up and chow down!
Enjoy!

No comments: