Thursday, February 10, 2011

Grilled Sazon Steak Tacos

Grilled Sazon Steak Tacos- Sorry forgot the onions in the picture!


I love shopping at the Mexican grocery store down the street because I can fill my pantry with authentic products and believe it or not it is so much cheaper than the regular grocery store.  While picking up tortillas, black beans, and fresh garlic, I came upon a new spice.  I had heard about Badia's Sazon Tropical on one of my favorite blogs, www.skinnytaste.com.  Since I am always up to try something new I picked it up and today I decided to try it. 
         Mexican food is definitely at the top of my families favorites and my husband never turns down a good taco.  In fact he will probably be a little upset at me since today I made these for lunch and he had to go out of town on business.  Luckily I have leftovers! These tacos are fresh and full of flavor.  Pile on sauteed onions, fresh tomatoes, sweet peppers and cilantro and you have a healthy lunch.  Oh, don't forget the Greek yogurt.  Yes, I said yogurt!  Fage 0% Greek Yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and since it is fat free and loaded with protein there is no need for guilt.


Ingredients:

1/2 lb Sirloin Tip, Flank or Skirt Steak
Badia Tropical Sazon or your favorite Mexican blend of spices
1/2 C. Red onion, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 C. Sweet Red Pepper, julienned
1 Roma tomato, sliced thin
Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
FAGE O % Greek Yogurt or sour cream
4 small corn or flour tortillas
Pinch of S & P if desired
  • Season steak generously and place on hot grill.  Tip steak is a thin cut so I cooked it about 4-5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Once cooked remove from grill and let the meat rest before slicing.
  • In a medium skillet saute the onions in olive oil on medium heat until soft and starting to brown. Approximately 8-10 minutes  Remove from heat.
  • To warm the tortillas I turn on a gas burner and place them right on the grate until warm and soft.  If you don't have a gas stove you can warm them in the oven.  Flour tortillas do fine wrapped in a towel and microwaved for 30 seconds but I hear corn tortillas don't.  If you aren't concerned about calories my favorite way to heat corn tortillas is to fry them in canola oil.  They get crispy and absolutely delicious! 
  • Slice the steak against the grain and place 2-3 pieces in each tortilla.  Pile on the veggies add a pinch of salt and pepper and finish each one off with cilantro and a spoonful of Greek yogurt or sour cream. 
Enjoy!

No comments: