Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sweet and Crispy Rice Cakes

Sweet and Crispy Rice Cakes


             Rice cakes.  No, not the ones found in a bag that are a healthy, crispy snack made from the oatmeal guy!  Although I love those, and they do have similar qualities, sweet, crunchy and delicious, they are in fact different. I discovered the original recipe in a magazine at a friend's house and have been playing around with it ever since.   I love using sushi rice because it is sticky and is slightly sweet, but I have used Jasmine as well.  Usually I make this recipe to accompany Asian dishes like lettuce wraps and stir-fry, but I also have changed it up and seasoned them for Mexican dishes.  I suppose you could do just about anything. So, get creative and let me know what you come up with!


Ingredients:
*3 C. Cooked Sushi or Jasmine rice, cooled
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Rice Vinegar
11/2  tsp. corn starch (may need more if not sticking)
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 - 4 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil

* Leftover rice is perfect but you may need to rehydrate.  I usually add a couple tablespoons of water (depending on the amount of rice) and steam it in the microwave for a minute or two.  Stir it up allowing the rice to absorb the water. The stickier the better. 
  • Mix all ingredients together, stir well. 
  • Heat 2 Tbsp. canola oil in a large non-stick skillet on med. 
  • Press rice into a 1/4 C. measuring cup sprayed with non-stick spray.  Pop out and place patties in hot oil.  Alternatively you can wet your hands and press 1/4 cup of rice mixture into round cakes about 2 1/2 " in diameter.
  • Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes in each side.  Tip:  Don't keep flipping the cakes in the pan.  Leave them to get golden brown which helps them set and not fall apart.  
     
  • Add more oil as needed to prevent them from burning.


    • Drain on a paper towel.

       I like to drizzle these with soy sauce or my Sweet and Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps sauce.  I hate to admit it as I am sure that it is a culinary faux pas, but they are also good with ketchup.  I teased my husband and said it was a crime, but I have to admit I like it!  Go figure??

    Enjoy!

    No comments: