Thursday, May 24, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake 

Not the greatest photo but don't let that deter you from making this recipe!
  OK, it has been forever since I have posted. Life got in the way.  I stopped food blogging about a year ago when we began fertility treatments, which took a toll on me emotionally.  It has been a long year and if you would like to know more about it, please check out my other blog,  www.abroadIVF.blogspot.com, where we tell you all about our trip to Istanbul.

  Now back to the food.  This recipe I adapted slightly from Two Peas and Their Pod, which I love.  It originally started out as a brownie recipe but mine turned out more like a fudgy cake.  This recipe is chocolatey, moist, and super delicious.  The best part is that there are vegetables in it, which I absolutely love!  My kids love this recipe and so does my husband.  Even my super picky niece gobbled this down last year when I took it camping.  I promise you don't even taste the zucchini or even know it is there.  


Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1 1/2 C granulated sugar
2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C canola oil
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups pureed zucchini - the original recipe calls for shredded which I suspect makes them like brownies?
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 to1 1/2 C chocolate chips - the first time I made this I used a mixture of semi sweet and white chocolate


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degree F.  Spray a 9 x 11 baking dish (mine was glass).

2.  In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also do this by hand in a large bowl) add sugar, oil, and flour.  Combine until it resembles wet sand.  While mixing on low add the zucchini, cocoa, vanilla, salt and baking soda.  I know what you are thinking...what about separating the wet and dry ingredients?  Well, for whatever reason it works out fine.  I did separate them last year into wet and dry and that works out too. 

3.  Pour into the baking dish and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.  Keep an eye at about 20 minutes and check with a toothpick or fork to see if it comes out clean in the middle of the cake.  

 Let cool completely before cutting, or scooping it out warm and serving with some homemade vanilla ice cream would also be delicious!

Enjoy...



No comments: