Monday, July 11, 2011

Blueberry White Chocolate Scones

Blueberry White Chocolate Scones

   I probably should have waited to make these after we picked gallons of fresh blueberries this summer in the mountains of North Carolina, but I couldn't wait.  When you taste them you will understand.  Warning, these are awesome!  I adapted this recipe from pickycook.com where I have found a lot of great recipes to try.  I have since also made these scones with strawberries since we picked 6 gallons a few weeks ago and they were delicious.  I used fat free Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream and it worked fine.   
  These are wonderful warm and soft right out of the oven, plain or with a little butter.  They were also delicious warm as a shortcake with homemade ice cream and some of my strawberry freezer jam. 
  These are a little tedious the first time you make them, but they are well worth it, and they were definitely quicker the next time.  I like to cut mine into small triangles since they are not low fat.

Ok, so here we go...
1. First adjust your oven rack to the middle and pre-heat to 425 degrees F.  You didn't want a picture of that did you? 

2. Pull the butter out of the freezer and grate it until the stick is gone.  Place it back in the freezer. 
Frozen Grated Unsalted Butter
Ok, stop!  Why did I not know about this sooner?  This is the greatest trick ever!  Why,  you ask?  Well, you want the butter to stay cold so you get nice and flaky biscuits. (That part I knew!)  Freezing it allows you more time so your hot little hands don't melt it as fast.  Grating it allows you to work with it less when you mix it with your flour mixture and it remains more uniform.  You also don't have to try cutting it in with a pastry cutter or 2 knives, which is a pain in the you know what!   Ha!  I've got you now biscuits and pie crusts. 

3. Next, in a medium bowl whisk together the milk and light sour cream and refrigerate.

Have I ever told you about my love of sour cream when I bake?  Well it has been a long love affair and we don't have that kind of time.  Let's just say it all started with Texas Sheet Cake and it has never stopped.  Go ahead, tell my husband, he approves! 


4. Ok, now mix all the dry stuff plus the lemon zest.   A little of this a little of that.   For goodness sake people, don't trust me!  Read the recipe at the bottom!


5. Now, pull that super fantastic grated butter out of the freezer and gently toss it together with the flour mixture.
Yes, you can use your hands, but do NOT get too frisky with the butter you don't want it to melt!  You can go a little faster.  Geez we don't have all day!





6. Ok, now gently fold in the milk mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. 

This is not a Jane Fonda workout (or for you younger people P90X.)  Don't overwork the dough!  Do you want tough chewy scones or light and fluffy ones?
 
Seriously, I swear I am not that old, I just couldn't think of anyone else besides Jane Fonda! 

7.  Dust hands with flour and turn dough out onto floured work surface.  Knead dough a few times until it just holds together in a ragged ball. You may need to add a little flour here or there as needed to prevent untimely stickiness.






8.  Shape into a rectangle with your hands (still being quick people - your hands are hot!)
 
9. Roll out into into a 12 " rectangle. 



10.  Fold dough in thirds like a letter, using a bench scraper or metal spatula to help lift.  I like to dip mine in a little flour to help it out. 




11.  Fold in thirds again til you get approximately 4 " square of dough.  Place that bad boy on a floured plate and put it in the freezer to chill out again for 5 minutes.



12.  Roll dough into a 12 " rectangle again. 
13.  Strategically place the blueberries and white chocolate chips Let's get this right people.  No, seriously just throw them on and gently press them down into the dough a little.
I only place blueberries on 3/4 of this dough because I tested the other 1/4 with homemade strawberry jam.
 14.  Roll dough into a log starting at one end and tucking in any berries or chocolate that wants to escape along the way.  

15.  Roll log gently into a thick rectangle about 6-7" x 12".
 Totally forgot the next picture so this is of this same recipe but with brown sugar and cinnamon scones. Sorry...

16.  Cut in half long ways (for mini scones I cut into thirds)

17.  Cut into triangles


18.  Brush with heavy cream or melted butter and sprinkle with sugar (Sparkling sugar would be pretty but I didn't have any).

Brush scones with heavy cream or melted butter and sprinkle with sugar before baking
Last and final step....BAKE them at 425 degrees F for 18 -25 minutes
Crap... I lied...I am always doing that...last step...EAT! 
There.  I'm done.


Ingredients
1 stick frozen unsalted butter
1 1/2 C. fresh or frozen blueberries (Do Not thaw frozen berries) - I used fresh
1/2 C. whole milk
1/2 C. light sour cream
2 C. all purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surface
1/2 C. Sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 C. white chocolate chips
Heavy cream for brushing
Regular or course sugar to sprinkle on top

These look complicated but after you make them once I promise they are a breeze to make.  The recipe is actually very simple and has endless possibilities.  

Blueberry White Chocolate Scones



Enjoy!

No comments: