|Green Curry Chicken with Snow Peas and Mushrooms|
I was first introduced to Thai food when I lived in Florida. The Chinese restaurants where I lived were less than stellar, but there were many excellent Thai restaurants where my friends introduced me to new and wonderful flavors. I still crave the steamed dumplings, Pad Thai, and other incredible appetizers and dishes that were placed in front of me. I modified this recipe from a book I checked out at the library but I unfortunately can't remember the name.
Coconut milk is found in many Thai dishes and even if you are not a coconut fan (like my husband) give it a try. The coconut flavor is very subtle in this dish and gives it a creaminess. Green curry paste can be found in the ethnic section of your grocery store. This dish is simple, quick, and filling when served over white rice. I love to add snow peas and mushrooms but sugar snap peas or broccoli would be wonderful too.
1 1/2 T. canola oil
2 tsp. Thai green curry paste
6 boneless chicken thighs sliced crosswise
1/2 tsp. fish sauce
1 C. lite coconut milk6 Tbsp. chicken broth
1/2 - 1 long green chile, seeded and minced ( I used a Serrano pepper b/c that is what they had at the store)
1/2 lb. snow peas
1/2 lb button mushrooms sliced thinly (next time I would use more b/c there are never enough as far as I am concerned)
- Heat canola oil in a wok or large saute pan on medium/high heat
- Add curry paste and stir fry for 45 - 60 secs.
- Add chicken and stir-fry until opaque
- Add fish sauce and a little coconut milk and de-glaze the pan
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, chicken stock, chile and stir well
- Reduce to approximately 2/3 C. over about 6-7 minutes
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft for a few minutes. Add snow peas and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.