Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chocolate Toffee Almond Biscotti

Chocolate Toffee Almond Biscotti

  Ok, so I have not posted in about 1 month and I apologize.  With kids in baseball 3-5 days a week and trying to keep up with the normal chores after work I have hardly sat down. I wrote this recipe awhile ago and completely forgot to post it.  Thank you to a former co-worker that posted on FB and kicked my butt into high gear!
  I love biscotti and this is one of my favorite recipes.  These crispy cookies are perfect in the morning with coffee, tea, or milk.  My kids also love them as a sweet afternoon snack.  I make a batch of these around the holidays and wrap them up in a pretty cellophane bag and give them as gifts.  They are sweet, crunchy and addictive!   They would also be delicious dipped in chocolate!

   I made one large loaf for this recipe but it spread out quite a bit, so next time I will make two loaves.  Also, 18 - 20 minutes of baking time is for nice and crunchy cookies.  If you like them a little softer or know your oven cooks really hot decrease it by a few minutes. 



Ingredients:

2 C. flour

1 C. sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/8 tsp. salt

3 large eggs 

2 Tbsp. vanilla extract (seems like a lot but the original recipe called for 2 Tbsp. Amaretto (which I didn't have) or 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract (which I also didn't have and am not crazy about...) plus 1 tsp. vanilla.  So hence the reason I added so much vanilla.  It worked perfectly the first time so that is how I do it all the time now. 

3/4 C. sliced almonds

3/4 C. Heath Bar chocolate toffee pieces-in the baking aisle next to chocolate chips (I get ambitious during the holidays and make homemade chocolate covered toffee so that works too!)


Another hour and a half,give or take, and you will be able to dunk this baby!

Directions: 

  • Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F
  • Very important don't skip this step or I will hunt you down...line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.  About the hunting you down thing..don't worry the clean up of the sheet pan and ruined biscotti are punishment enough!
  • In a medium bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
  • In a large bowl beat eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer
  • Mix dry ingredients with egg mixture until well combined.  The dough will be sticky but don't add more flour
  • Flour the surface of the parchment paper and lightly dust you hands with flour 
  • Roll out 1/2 of the dough and shape into 3 " wide log, repeat with other 1/2 of the dough on separate lined sheet
  • Bake 45 - 50 minutes
  • Cool 10 minutes
  • Slice on the bias into 1/2 " pieces
  • Bake cut side down another 18- 20 minutes
  • Remove trays from oven and flip pieces over, bake another 18 - 20 minutes 
  • Cool completely 


 Enjoy!

No comments: